Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Decemberists - 5 Songs


Tracklist:
01. Oceanside
02. Shiny
03. My Mother Was A Chinese Trapeze Artist
04. Angel, Won't You Call Me?
05. I Don't Mind
06. Apology Song

If You Like: Neutral Milk Hotel, Iron & Wine, The Shins

That's right, '5 Songs' has 6 songs on it. The first 2 are some upbeat songs, with the steel guitar chords and Meloy's relaxing voice. 'My Mother Was A Chinese Trapeze Artist' is slower, and is the type of song found on their 'Castaways and Cutouts' album. 'Angel Won't You Call Me' is probably the happiest sounding song on the EP; it reminds me of their song 'Sunshine' and The Format. 'I Don't Mind' is another slow, sorrowful song. I love it. 'Apology Song' is surprisingly upbeat, I would expect it to be kind of slow and depressing. It sounds like some of Conor Oberst's newer works. If you've never heard The Decemberists before, I wouldn't start here, either 'Castaways and Cutouts' or 'Picaresque'. 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment