Friday, July 17, 2009

Menomena! - Friend and Foe



Tracklist:
01. Muscle n' Flo
02. The Pelican
03. Wet and Rusting*
04. Air Aid
05. Weird
06. Rotten Hell
07. Running
08. My My
09. Boyscout'n
10. Evil Bee
11. Ghostship
12. West

If You Like: Battles, Arcade Fire, Her Space Holiday

*Wet and Rusting is on the 'Wet and Rusting EP' so I didn't include it on this album.

Don't be disappointed when they don't sound like Arcade Fire. Those are the only bands I can think of that even remotely remind me of Menomena!. It is definitely the most distinctive band I've ever heard. The lyrics and singing are more coherent than most experimental bands, but stream in and out more than most indie. They seem to blend into the instruments at many points, which I like. The mood can go from dark or slow to uplifting and catchy suddenly, but it all flows beautifully when taken as a whole. I find it's good relaxing or background music, especially for long car rides. 'Muscle n Flo', 'Rotten Hell', and 'My My' are my favorite songs on the album. 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment