Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Silversun Pickups - Pikul


Tracklist:
01. Kissing Families
02. Comeback Kid
03. Booksmart Devil
04. The Fuzz
05. Creation Lake
06. All The Go-Inbetweens

If You Like: Modest Mouse, Brand New, The Shins

Pikul is the first release from Silversun Pickups, a refreshing ambient rock band. However, half of this album falls short of their now-established reputation in the music world somewhere between underground and pop. This has 3 songs I like, and 3 songs that don't stand out at all. 'Kissing Families' is a great, catchy song with some energy which is lacking from the rest of the album. 'Creation Lake' uses female vocals and is very repetitive, but it's relaxing and I like it. 'All The Go-Inbetweens' is a mellow, slow song with great bass and percussion but pretty empty lyrics. I'm a little biased towards long songs, so just the 7:37 track length makes it innately enjoyable for me. It's amazing if listened to with outside influences, I think. This album is worth getting after you download and fall in love with 'Carnavas'. If it wasn't for that album, I wouldn't be paying $35 + tax to see them next week. 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment