Thursday, July 16, 2009

Emarosa - This Is Your Way Out


Tracklist:
01. He Is The Water
02. I Am Waves
03. Armageddon
04. Utah
05. Breather
06. Casablanca
07. Epoch Coda

If You Like: A Skylit Drive, agraceful, A Day To Remember, Oceana

It seems appropriate to begin with the album 'This Is Your Way Out' by Emarosa. Just to avoid confusion, I think I switched the first two tracks when labeling the files, but the order above is right.
This is one of my favorite post-hardcore albums (yes, I'm a genre-labeling freak). Chris Roetter, their vocalist at the time, is one of my favorites and is the main reason this album is so good. Armageddon and Epoch Coda really show his range and vocal abilities. It's a shame he's not in the band anymore, but luckily, he's now in Agraceful. Agraceful is on Scream the Prayer Tour until August 2nd, which I will probably go to. Back to Emarosa... The guitars also sound great, but are much simpler than a lot of similar bands that I think try too hard. Emarosa really makes it work though... think Blink-182 with distortion: simple but amazing. I don't think the drums stand out too much, Lukas (drummer) just does his job.
'Utah' is a great re-recording of 'Utah, But I'm Taller' by Corsets Are Cages, the pre-Emarosa band. 'Breather' is my favorite interlude-type song, and 'Epoch Coda' has been in my top 10 songs for over 2 years. They are experts at creating epic music that still has all the characteristics of typical post-hardcore bands, which is what really makes them stand out. They also have the whole Christian theme going, which I think has been rampant lately, but it's subtle. I give this album a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment