Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Decemberists - Her Majesty


Tracklist:
01. Shanty for the Arethusa
02. Billy Liar
03. Los Angeles, I'm Yours
04. The Gymnast, High Above The Ground
05. The Bachelor And The Bride
06. Song For Myla Goldberg
07. The Soldiering Life
08. Red Right Ankle
09. The Chimbley Sweep
10. I Was Meant For The Stage
11. As I Rise

If You Like: Iron & Wine, Bright Eyes

The sophomore release from The Decemberists contains many of their best songs. The band's apparent pirate-complex rolls over strongly from the previous 'Castaways and Cutouts' as exemplified best in songs like 'The Chimbley Sweep'. I'm pretty sure this song is based on William Blake's stories, but I don't remember them well enough to say more than that. My favorites from this album include (in no particular order): Billy Liar, Los Angeles, I'm Yours, The Gymnast, High Above The Ground, Red Right Ankle, and I Was Meant For The Stage. If you can get used to his voice and quaint vocabulary, this album will be one of the most incredible things ever. 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment